Postal advertising for Battle Creek College

Postal advertising for Battle Creek College

Battle Creek, Michigan: March 24, c[1884-1888]. Envelope or Cover. This Battle Creek College mailing envelope features an illustration of the school, a description of its mission, and a short summary of its instructional programs. It is addressed to Bristol Center, New York and franked with a brown, 2-cent Washington stamp (Scott #210) which was in use from October 1883 to 1887. It bears a Battle Creek postmark dated March 24th with no year date. No contents.

The building image is of the original school before its expansion in 1888. As a Seventh Day Adventist college, the text notes,

“The founders of this Institution aimed to establish a college where reverence for God and his word should be inculcated, in connection with the arts and sciences.”

It also notes that

“The Departments of Instruction include: 1. Primary Course of four years. 2. Grammar Course of four years. 3. Collegiate Course, Including an English Course of two years, a Scientific Course of three years, and a Classical Course. 4 Biblical Course of three years. 5. A Special Course for such as wish to pursue only particular studies. . ..”. Very good. Item #009632

In the mid-1850s, Ellen G. White—an Adventist visionary and prolific author--and her husband were invited by a group of Adventist believers in Michigan to move their new publishing house to Battle Creek, Michigan. In time, the Adventist movement grew, and in the late 1860s, the community established the Western Health Reform Institute, better known as Battle Creek Sanitarium based on the principles of proper diet, fresh air, and exercise. In the mid-1870s, Dr. John Kellogg became its superintendent about the same time that White led the founding of Battle Creek College adjacent to Sanitarium.

In the early 1880s, Kellogg began establishing a series of other schools at his Sanitarium based on Adventist teachings: a school of nursing, a school of health and home economics, and school for teaching physical education. Eventually, Kellogg purchased the Battle Creek College campus from the Seventh Day Adventist Church and consolidated his three school programs there. At that time, the arts and sciences programs were moved about 80 miles west to Berrien Springs where, after several renamings, it remains today as Andrews University.

(See “Battle Creek College” at lostcolleges.com and “A Brief Biography” at the Ellen G. White Estate online.)

A seldom seen illustrated college advertising cover.

Price: $150.00