Donation certificate from The Lincoln Highway Association. To B. C. Sammons, Benjamin Chester.

Donation certificate from The Lincoln Highway Association.

Detroit, Michigan: The Lincoln Highway Association. Unbound. This certificate measures 12.5” x 8.5”. It features a portrait of Abraham Lincoln and recognizes a five dollar contribution by Sammons. The certificate is dated January 13, 1913. Three pressed-out mailing folds. In nice shape.

The certificate identifies the object of the association: “To immediately promote and procure the establishment of a continuous improved highway from the Atlantic to the Pacific, open to lawful traffic of all descriptions without toll charges, and to be of concrete wherever practicable. This highway is to be known, in memory of Abraham Lincoln, as “The Lincoln Highway.”. Very good. Item #009461

The Lincoln Highway was one of the first North American transcontinental automobile highways. It was formally dedicated in October 1913 and ran from Times Square in New York City to Lincoln Park in San Francisco. The original length was 3,389 miles however as improvements were made, that was eventually shortened to 3,142 miles. In the late 1920s, most of the route was officially redesignated as U.S. 30, and today, as a transcontinental route, it has been superseded by Interstate 80.

It would be an understatement to say that when first dedicated, the route was primitive.

The Lincoln Highway Association was a quasi-official agency that participated in planning, publicizing, and funding the highway from the beginning. It’s certificates, like this one, served both purposes, and to much fanfare Certificate Number 1 was issued to President Woodrow Wilson, and automobile enthusiast, who made the first $5 donation.

Online genealogical records show that Sammons was a bank cashier living in Blue Island, Illinois.

These certificates are rather scarce; however, they periodically turn up on eBay or in antique malls.

Price: $100.00