[Kings Mill, Ohio]: Peters Cartridge Company, 1904. Envelope or Cover. This advertising cover (AICC #G77) features a five-color illustration of an armed rider on horse. The reverse is an all-over multicolor illustration of various ammunition produced by Peters. The text reads “Peters Cartridges and Loaded Shells are Superior.” It is franked with a 2-cent red Washington stamp (Scott #309) tied to the envelope with a Canton, Ohio machine postmark dated 1904. In nice shape; slightly trimmed at right edge with small loss to illustration on the reverse. Very good. Item #009307
The Peters Cartridge Company began as the Great Western Powder Works in 1877, and by 1889 it was producing over 4,000 cartridges per hour. Remington Arms purchased the company in 1934, and it shut down in 1944 during World War II. The factory buildings were subsequently used by Columbia Records to manufacture 45 and 78 rpm records, and later the Seagram Company as a whiskey warehouse. A very scarce and highly sought-after cowboy-themed advertising cover.