Meridian, Connecticut: circa 1900. Album. All but one of the images measure approximately 3.5” x 2.25”. 19 of the images are cyanotypes; 20 are photographs.
Highlights include cyanotypes of: The school’s driveway and the large central building, Residential cottages for the boys, Three boys on work detail carrying large milk pails, A group of about 50 boys in what appear to be work or athletic uniforms, Three small groups of boys in their dress uniforms, A young boy wearing a smock and apron and holding a cat, and The school chapel. Other photographs are of the Meriden area including Hubbard Park, Castle Craig, bucolic scenes with cows and sheep, a couple tending a large garden, family groups, and what appears to be the New London Lighthouse. Very good. Item #008959
The Connecticut Reform School for Boys opened in 1854 with 154 boys. All were under the age of 16 when convicted, and they could be held at the school for a defined term, until they were ‘reformed,’ or until they turned 21. While at the School, the boys worked six hours a day; spent four hours in the classroom; prayed, played or performed incidental duties for five hours, and had nine hours to sleep. In 1893, the school’s name was changed to the Connecticut School for Boys. It closed in 1972.