Philadelphia, Ann Arbor, Owatonna, and Detroit: 1864-1881. Scrapbook. The album measures 6" x 15.5" and contains approximately 75 pages filled with ledger entries, scores of mostly medically related newspaper clippings, and about 35 ephemeral pieces including business cards, advertisements, printed letters, receipts, prescription blanks, dunning notices, medical society notices, reference book announcements, journal indexes, etc. The original spine has perished and been replace with what appears to be reinforced paper tape. The covers and pages are worn. All but one of the leaves are still attached, however several are beginning to separate. The newspaper clippings have been pasted over most of the ledger entries. Almost all of the clippings and some of the ephemera have been stained by the glue Gilchrist used to affix them to the pages. Good to Very Good. Item #008481
Gilchrist received his medical degree from the Homoeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania following his service in the Civil War. He remained at that school as an anatomy instructor until 1867 when he became a Professor of Surgery at the University of Michigan for two years until he began his private practice in Owatonna, Minnesota, after which he served as the Chief of Staff for the Detroit Homoeopathic Hospital. In the mid-1880s, Gilchrist transferred to the University of Iowa where he was appointed as both a Professor of English and Professor of Homoeopathic Medicine. He remained at Iowa as the Chair of Surgery within the College of Homoeopathic Medicine until shortly before his in 1906. Scarce. As of 2016, no similar American homoeopathic scrapbooks, journals, or diaries are in the trade, although one from Europe is priced at $5,000. No auction records for similar items per ABPC or Rare Book Hub. OCLC shows no similar items at institutions however a series of scrapbooks with biographic clippings about homoeopathic physicians is at Drexel University, and the proceedings of the 1994 San Francisco Conference on Culture, Knowledge, and Healing contain the results of a survey by Arnold Michalousk showing ephemera and manuscripts from homoeopathic physicians are held by 22 institutions.